FL Marriage License Info

Both partners will need to appear together, in person, at the County Clerk of the Courts Office to apply for the license (there is an exception for out-of-state couples, see below). You may apply in any county, and once issued, the license may be used in any county in Florida. You can find a list of the County Clerks offices with their addresses, phone numbers, and website here: http://www.flclerks.com/?FindaClerk

Prior to applying, you and your partner will need to read the FL Family Law Handbook, as during the application process, you will have to sign an affidavit swearing that you read it. If you ignore the atrocious clip-art, it’s a fairly painless, 16-page, easy read. You can download it for free by clicking this link and going to the bottom of that page.  Versions are available in both English and Spanish. : http://www.flclerks.com/?page=PublicDocuments

You will need to have your social security number (or non-citizens will need a passport/alien registration number or equivalent). Some counties require that you present your social security card, some don’t; it’s safest just to bring it.

You will each need a government issued photo ID to apply (driver’s license, passport etc).

If you were previously married, you will need to provide the exact date the marriage was terminated. If it was terminated in the last 30 days, you will need official documents showing that date, such as a divorce decree or death certificate, depending on the circumstances.

While you will receive the license on the day you apply, it will not be effective until 3 days later, as FL has a mandatory waiting period (exceptions listed below).

The license is effective for 60 days, after which, if you have not been wed, you will need to reapply.

Once wed, the license must be returned to the issuing county’s Clerk of the Courts office within 10 days after the ceremony; this can be done by mail.

The fee for the license is $93.50. Some clerks take checks and credit cards, but most are cash only.

If you and your partner have completed a premarital course by a provider approved by the issuing county, the 3 day waiting period is waived, and the fee is reduced to $61.

If both spouses reside outside of the State of Florida, the 3 day waiting period is waived.

If you and your partner have minor children, an application for a marriage license must allow both parties to the marriage to state under oath in writing if they are the parents of a child born in FL, and to identify any such child they have in common by name, date of birth, place of birth, and, if available, birth certificate number. The name of any child recorded by both parties will be transmitted by the Clerk to the Department of Health along with an original marriage license and endorsements.

OUT OF STATE COUPLES ONLY: If both spouses reside outside of Florida, Brevard County does offer a Mail-away service to obtain your license remotely, so you do not have to appear in person to apply.  This license can be used for a wedding anywhere in the State of Florida.  Visit this link and look for the Mail Away service under related links: http://brevardclerk.us/how-to-apply-for-a-marriage-license

RESIDENTS OF TEXAS:  Texas now allows its marriage licenses to be used anywhere in the United States of America.  If you prefer to get your marriage license from your local county in Texas, you may bring it to Florida for use here.

The full set of FL laws regarding marriage can be found here: http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/Chapter741